What you’ll do
We are seeking a Technician 1 – Surgery Multi-species In-Life for our Surgery Team at the site located in Mattawan, MI.
A Technician 1 – Technical Operations is in training to perform and become proficient in on-boarding skills, procedures, and cooperating in a team environment. The technician is learning basic skills required to conduct a study, which may include animal handling/restraint, housing maintenance, and feeding procedures; collecting data, observing the animals for health status, and body weight measurements; administering doses by various methods, conducting euthanasia, and/or biological specimen collections for analysis. The technician is working under close supervision to gain proficiency.
Essential Functions (The fundamental Duties & Responsibilities of the role (products and services provided/results accomplished) include, but are not limited to, those listed:
Ensure good welfare and humane care for all animals worked with through gentle, positive human-animal interactions.
Train in on-boarding skills which may include animal handling/restraint, housing maintenance, and feeding procedures; collecting data, observing the animals for health status, and body weight measurements; administering doses by various methods, conducting euthanasia, and/or biological specimen collections for analysis. Specific skills will be based on each area’s training plan and business needs.
Collect, document, review, and verify data on forms, or in electronic data capture systems.
Review documentation of functions performed as part of quality control requirements.
Use and maintain instrumentation and equipment.
Perform all other related duties as assigned.
The pay for this position is $20.00. Please note that salaries vary within the range based on factors including, but not limited to, experience, skills, education, certifications, and location
What you’ll need
Qualifications (Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities required to accomplish the essential functions) include but are not limited to:
- Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.) required. Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or equivalent in a biological science, preferred.
- Experience: No previous experience required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: None, unless required by local government.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Knowledge of English.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities to achieve goals.
- Computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite), commensurate with essential functions, including the ability to learn a validated system.
- Ability to ensure that a safe working environment is maintained by observing all safety procedures and working methods by making proper use of protective clothing and equipment, and by reading, understanding, and following all safety documents issued or notified of.
- Ability to ensure the integrity of the studies and fulfill the regulatory agencies requirements by performing the activities according to the Good Laboratory Practices (GLP), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Business Operating Procedures (BOP) and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) rules.
- Ability to work extended hours beyond normal work schedule to include, but not limited to evenings, weekends, extended shifts, and/or extra shifts, sometimes on short notice.
- Ability to work under specific time constraints
- Ability to work in close proximity to rodents and rabbits that may result in sensitization to allergens or exacerbate preexisting allergies.
- Ability to lift/move up to 30 pounds regularly and up to 60 pounds frequently.
- Physically able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) when necessary to include properly fitted respirator.
What you get
- Mental/Dental/Vision Plans
- Vacation and Holiday
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Value Added Programs
- Employee discount program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition and Referral Program
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Fitness Reimbursement and Wellness Programs
- Paid Volunteer Time Off
- Parental Leave
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage Contact Research Organization (CRO). Here, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. With 100 sites around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our clients' unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.Learn More