Animal Care Technician I
Req ID #: 214925
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
What you’ll do
We are seeking an Animal Care Technician I for our Insourcing Solutions Department located in Cambridge, MA.
Observe, monitor, and document the health and physical environment within the Charles River Accelerator & Development Labs (CRADL) animal facility. Perform routine animal husbandry tasks to include the cleaning, feeding, and watering of laboratory animals; the cleaning of cages, related ancillary equipment; and the maintenance of animal care environments within the CRADL animal facility. Collaborate with the veterinary staff to ensure that the health and welfare of laboratory animals are maintained in compliance with local, state, federal and institutional guidelines, and regulations.
The following are responsibilities relate to the Animal Care Technician I:
- Monitor daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations. Perform animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals, to include: perform daily water bottle /automatic water line and cage checks; provide appropriate food and water; perform cage changing and/or cage cleaning as required; record animal health concerns per SOP and/or specified protocols.
- Handle, transfer, and deliver animals, supplies (caging, gases, dry ice, liquid nitrogen), and waste as needed to and from work area(s).
- Monitor daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations.
- Maintain an organized and clean work environment including but not limited to animal rooms, common areas such as corridors, cage washrooms, procedure rooms, anterooms, storage areas and grounds by cleaning at prescribed intervals following established procedures.
What you’ll need
The following are minimum qualifications related to the Animal Care Technician I position:
- Education: High school diploma, General Education Degree (G.E.D.) or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) in animal or life sciences field preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of zero - six (0-6) months directly related laboratory animal experience in a laboratory animal facility.
- Certification/Licensure: Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) certification from AALAS preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, and certifications may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Other: Ability to learn and understand the basic animal identification methods. Ability to effectively follow verbal and written instructions and exhibit interpersonal skills that are conducive to effective communication and that contribute to a congenial work environment. Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a professional manner with coworkers, research staff, and managers. Strong organization skills and attention to detail. Strong written and verbal English communication skills. Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Work Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday 7:30 AM – 4 PM
The pay range for this position is $20.00 - $22.00 USD per hour. Please note that salaries vary within the range based on factors including, but not limited to, experience, skills, education, certifications, and location.
What you get
- Mental/Dental/Vision Plans
- Vacation and Holiday
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Value Added Programs
- Employee discount program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition and Referral Program
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Fitness Reimbursement and Wellness Programs
- Paid Volunteer Time Off
- Parental Leave
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage Contact Research Organization (CRO). Here, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. With 100 sites around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our clients' unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.Learn More