What you’ll do
We are seeking Histology Technicians to join our Integrated Toxicology (ITox) team at the Kansas City (CR-KAN) Site. This site is the first of its kind, bridging CRL’s Discovery and Safety Assessment business units, while bringing automation to standard lead optimization toxicology study models to deliver rapid study results to our clients. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. The Histology Technician performs and becomes proficient in on-boarding tasks, procedures, and cooperating in a team environment. The technician will be responsible for a wide range of histological responsibilities required to conduct a study including, but not limited to, handling organs/tissues, tissue bagging, small animal tissue trimming/grossing, embedding, microtomy, slide staining and equipment maintenance. There is also opportunity for integration into our global digital pathology team which is quickly advancing the possibilities of digital slide staining and working to make chemical stains a thing of the past. The technician will work under close supervision to gain proficiency in the above areas and any other required for the position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure good welfare and humane care for all animals worked with through gentle, positive human-animal interactions.
- Train in on-boarding tasks which may include labelling samples, shipping specimens, handling organs/tissues, tissue bagging, small animal tissue trimming, embedding, microtomy, slide staining and equipment maintenance. Specific tasks will be based on each area’s training plan and business needs.
- Able to manipulate, cut and embed small and large tissue samples with correct orientation for evaluation.
- Collect, document, review, and verify data on forms, or in electronic data capture systems.
- Work within a fast-paced environment, with high-volume throughput with opportunities for cross training across a multi-disciplined site.
- Team oriented attitude with the aptitude to work individually and undirected to maintain efficient workflows.
- Review documentation of functions performed as part of quality control requirements.
- Use and maintain instrumentation and equipment.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
What you’ll need
Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.), preferred.
- Preferred: 1-2 years Histology, Microtomy with either animal or human tissue
- Recommended: 1-2 years of gross tissue examination
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: None, unless required by local government.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Knowledge of English.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities to achieve goals.
- Computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite).
- Ability to ensure that a safe working environment is maintained by observing all safety procedures and working methods by making proper use of protective clothing and equipment, and by reading, understanding, and following all safety documents issued or notified of.
- Ability to ensure the integrity of the studies and fulfill the regulatory agencies requirements by performing the activities according to Business Operating Procedures (BOP) and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) rules.
- Ability to work extended hours beyond normal work schedule to include, but not limited to evenings, weekends, extended shifts, and/or extra shifts, sometimes on short notice.
- Ability to work under specific time constraints.
The pay range for this position is $22-28/hour. Please note that salaries vary within the range based on factors including, but not limited to, HT/HTL certification, experience, skills, education, and location.
What you get
- Mental/Dental/Vision Plans
- Vacation and Holiday
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Value Added Programs
- Employee discount program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition and Referral Program
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Fitness Reimbursement and Wellness Programs
- Paid Volunteer Time Off
- Parental Leave
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage Contact Research Organization (CRO). Here, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. With 100 sites around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our clients' unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.Learn More