What you’ll do
We are seeking a Necropsy Technician to join our Integrated Toxicology (ITox) team at the Kansas City (CR-KAN) Site. This site is the first of its kind, bridging CRL’s Discovery and Safety Assessment business units, while bringing automation to standard lead optimization toxicology study models to deliver rapid study results to our clients. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. This role requires working independently while performing basic necropsy procedures. Responsibilities include assisting with specialized necropsy procedures and reviewing data for quality and accuracy.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Independently perform basic necropsy procedures, including dissection, tissue collection, and sample collection.
- Review of laboratory documents for accuracy, completeness, and compliance in adherence to site procedures and study specific requirements.
- Assist with and/or perform specialized necropsy procedures, including collection of tissues for special procedures, perfusion fixation, fetal evaluation, specialized dissection, neurodisection, and photography.
- Assist in training of staff junior to this level.
- May cross-train in other areas of pathology and/or other laboratory departments, such as flow cytometry, clinical pathology, and special pathology.
- May assist with or perform basic histology procedures such as trimming, processing, embedding, microtomy, staining, and cover slipping.
- Work within a high paced environment, requiring transparency and excellent communication skills
- Promote teamwork within the necropsy department and between other departments
- May occasionally work weekend/holidays and/or rotating on-call schedule
- Perform other related duties as assigned
What you’ll need
- Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.) required. Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in a scientific discipline or equivalent in a biological science preferred.
- Experience: 2 years of pathology laboratory experience preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above
- Certification/Licensure: None.
- Other: Placement at this level requires successful completion/competency of the required tasks of the positions preceding this level and continued ability to perform these tasks are required. Must be able to perform effectively as a team member, accurately record data, follow verbal and written instructions, maintain a positive work atmosphere, communicate effectively, and interact in a professional manner with management, coworkers, and sponsors. Experience with computer software programs is preferred.
- Employees must be able to lift, move, manipulate, and/or hold heavy objects up to and including 50 pounds; this includes work materials, equipment, and/or animals
- Must be able to perform laboratory procedures, which require, talking, hearing, standing, or sitting for long periods of time, entering data into a computer, using appropriate instruments, reaching with hands and arms, working in narrow spaces, and wearing safety equipment (PPE) according to OSHA regulations and company standards
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Works in a research laboratory environment, which requires use of sharp objects, working around mechanical parts, working with or near known or unknown toxic or caustic chemicals and/or biological hazards, exposure to fumes and airborne particles, working at noise levels ranging from quiet to moderately noisy
The pay range for this position is $20/hr+. Please note that salaries vary within the range based on factors including, but not limited to, experience, skills, education, certifications, and location.
What you get
- Mental/Dental/Vision Plans
- Vacation and Holiday
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Value Added Programs
- Employee discount program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition and Referral Program
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Fitness Reimbursement and Wellness Programs
- Paid Volunteer Time Off
- Parental Leave
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage Contact Research Organization (CRO). Here, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. With 100 sites around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our clients' unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.Learn More