Animal Support Technician II
Req ID #: 214038
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
What you’ll do
We are seeking an Animal Support Technician 2 for our Insourcing Solutions Department located in Cambridge, MA.
Maintain and monitor the health, production and physical environment within the IS commercial and academic client animal facility. Perform animal care and husbandry, to include daily equipment checks; providing appropriate food and water; performing cage changing and/or cage cleaning; recording animal health concerns, cage wash duties and sanitation and basic technical skills. Provide environmental enrichment appropriate to species and support to multiple clients lab animal facilities and technical services.
The following are responsibilities relate to the Animal Support Technician 2
- Monitor animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations and animal husbandry duties to include: performing daily equipment checks; providing appropriate food and water; performing cage changing and/or cage cleaning; recording animal health concerns.
- Provide environmental enrichment appropriate to species.
- Maintain accurate records of animal breeding, health, and housing/isolator or support areas.
- Assist with restraint, handling and manipulation of various animal species as assigned by the on-site supervisor or facility/attending veterinarian.
- Follow all procedures necessary to properly maintain animal housing areas, including room or facility personnel entry; personnel protective equipment use, and sanitation/decontamination of equipment and materials.
- May perform post-surgical observations and associated record keeping.
- May perform basic technical skills such as fasting, body weights and food/water measurements.
- Interact with customers as directed to resolve customer requests, inquiries, and complaints, and may be tasked to provide technical assistance.
What you’ll need
The following are minimum qualifications related to the Animal Support Technician 2 position:
- Education: High school diploma or (G.E.D.). Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences or related discipline preferred.
- Experience: One to two years related laboratory/research animal husbandry and basic technical experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) certification from AALAS preferred.
- Other: Knowledge of hygienic principles and basic animal husbandry; basic technical skills such as fasting, body weights and food/water measurements, animal identification (ear notching, tattooing, microchip); setting up breeding pairs, performing plug checks, conducting weaning and collecting samples for genotyping; maintaining colony records. Some travel maybe required to various client locations in MA and/or CT.
- Work Schedule: Sunday – Thursday 7:00AM-3:30PM
The pay range for this position is $25.00 - $27.00 USD per hour. Please note that salaries vary within the range based on factors including, but not limited to, experience, skills, education, certifications, and location.
What you get
- Mental/Dental/Vision Plans
- Vacation and Holiday
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Value Added Programs
- Employee discount program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition and Referral Program
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Fitness Reimbursement and Wellness Programs
- Paid Volunteer Time Off
- Parental Leave
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage Contact Research Organization (CRO). Here, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. With 100 sites around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our clients' unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.Learn More