Histology Technician I
Req ID #: 214080
Spencerville, Ohio, USA
What you’ll do
A Histology Technician I is in training to perform and become proficient in on-boarding skills, procedures, and cooperating in a team environment. The technician is learning basic skills required to conduct a study, which may include handling tissues and organs, trimming tissues, embedding, microtomy, slide preparation, staining; inventory and quality control, and shipping of tissues. The technician is working under close supervision to gain proficiency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure good welfare and humane care for all animals worked with through gentle, positive human-animal
- Train in histology skills which may include handling tissues and organs, slide preparation, staining/cover
- slipping; inventory, and shipping of tissues. Specific tasks will be based on each area’s training plan and
- business needs.
- Collect, document, review, and verify data on forms, or in electronic data capture systems.
- Review documentation of functions performed as part of quality control requirements.
- Use and maintain instrumentation and equipment.
- Learn and know anatomic terms.
- Receive, track, and prepare samples or materials, as required for department.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
What you’ll need
Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.) preferred. Associate (A.A./A.S.) or
Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in a biological science, desired.
Experience: No previous experience required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for
the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: None, unless required by local government.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Knowledge of English.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities to achieve goals.
- Computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite), commensurate with essential functions, including the ability
- to learn a validated system.
- Ability to ensure that a safe working environment is maintained by observing all safety procedures and
- working methods by making proper use of protective clothing and equipment, and by reading,
- understanding, and following all safety documents issued or notified of.
- Ability to ensure the integrity of the studies and fulfill the regulatory agencies requirements by
- performing the activities according to the Good Laboratory Practices (GLP), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Business Operating Procedures (BOP) and the Institutional Animal Care and
- Use Committee (IACUC) rules.
- Ability to work extended hours beyond normal work schedule to include, but not limited to evenings,
- weekends, extended shifts, and/or extra shifts, sometimes on short notice.
- Ability to work under specific time constraints.
- Employees must be able to lift, move, manipulate, and/or hold heavy objects up to and including 50
- pounds; this includes work materials, equipment, and/or animals.
- Must be able to perform procedures, which require, talking, hearing, standing or sitting for long periods of
- time, entering data into a computer, using appropriate instruments, reaching with hands and arms,
- working in narrow spaces, and wearing safety equipment (PPE) according to OSHA regulations and
- company standards.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the
- ability to adjust focus.
Work in a research environment, which requires use of sharp objects, working around mechanical parts,
working with or near known or unknown toxic or caustic chemicals and/or biological hazards, exposure to
fumes and airborne particles, working at noise levels ranging from quiet to moderate.
This position requires occasional overtime, weekend, holiday, and/or after hours shift coverage, as
What you get
- Mental/Dental/Vision Plans
- Vacation and Holiday
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Value Added Programs
- Employee discount program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition and Referral Program
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Fitness Reimbursement and Wellness Programs
- Paid Volunteer Time Off
- Parental Leave
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage Contact Research Organization (CRO). Here, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. With 100 sites around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our clients' unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.Learn More