Breeder Technician I
Req ID #: 216011
San Diego, California, USA
What you’ll do
We are seeking a Laboratory Animal Breeder Technician for our Insourcing Solutions site located in San Diego, CA.
Under direct supervision, perform husbandry, conduct breeding activities, colony management, record keeping and database entry following established protocols/guidance documents for up to a maximum of 500 cages.
- Provide general husbandry, health observations, welfare duties and perform cage change procedures in the breeding colony. Report abnormalities and signs of illness.
- Perform routine sanitation duties of rooms and associated materials/equipment in the assigned breeding area/rooms.
- Assist in setting up timed matings, monitor body weight and perform plug checks.
- Assist in conducting breeding observations at least twice a week. Note pregnancies, rotate or remove stud males; note litters and calculate weaning dates. Annotate special record keeping or phenotype observations, assess breeding performance, evaluate and schedule breeder animal rotation.
- Assist in weaning: assess number of litters ready, identify and separate animals into new cages, generate cards and enter data into the database.
- Identify animals (ear tag) and initiation of pedigree database record.
The pay range for this position is $29.00 - 30.00 per hour. Please note that salaries vary within the range based on factors including, but not limited to, experience, skills, education, certifications, and location.
What you’ll need
- Education/Experience: Bachelors of Science degree in a Life Sciences discipline or CVT/LVT/RVT certification and one (1) year directly related work experience in laboratory animal husbandry and technical skills as detailed above OR High School diploma/GED and two (2) years directly related work experience in laboratory animal husbandry and technical skills as detailed above required.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS Certification at the ALAT level preferred.
- Other: Demonstrate understanding of Standard Operating Procedures. Excellent organizational, time management and recordkeeping skills. Basic word processing and database record keeping skills required. Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
What you get
- Mental/Dental/Vision Plans
- Vacation and Holiday
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Value Added Programs
- Employee discount program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition and Referral Program
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Fitness Reimbursement and Wellness Programs
- Paid Volunteer Time Off
- Parental Leave
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage Contact Research Organization (CRO). Here, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. With 100 sites around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our clients' unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.Learn More