What you’ll do
We are seeking an Animal Care Technologist for our GEMS-Breed Department located in Wilmington, MA.
The Technologist performs specialized production duties to maintain and monitor the health, production and physical environment of animals within isolators, micro-isolator cages or barrier rooms. Provides training to departmental staff on all technical skills and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
This is temporary opportunity with the potential to become a regular Charles River Labs employee.
Some benefits include:
- Paid sick time/
- 401K participation with a company match
- Paid volunteer time off
- Use of our onsite gym
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for complying with all SOPs pertaining to specific area of responsibility. Provide input into the creation/revision of SOPs and assist in implementation and training of new SOPs.
- Performs specialized duties in the following areas: packing and shipping animals to customers; performing animal surgeries; biospecimen orders and introducing supplies.
- Performs production duties, ensuring proper breeding procedures and maintaining appropriate levels of assigned specialized rodent breeds, including inbred and outbred strains.
- Monitors animal health by observing animal behavior, physical appearance, and physical environment. Identify and report any abnormal findings.
- Responsible for collecting health monitoring swabs and following health monitoring schedules.
- Maintains the biosecurity of the animal physical environment by following SOPs related to introduction and removal of supplies/animals, isolator inspection and supply inspections.
- Maintains accurate departmental and isolator records.
- Participates in preparation of reports, order inquiries and completion of customer paperwork as assigned.
- Participates in planning/coordination of customer projects for department.
- Trains departmental staff on all levels of animal husbandry, production and tasks including feeding, watering and cleaning cages as required. Monitor animal health visually and by swabbing.
- Trains departmental personnel on specialized tasks in the following areas; packing and shipping animals to customer; providing technical training to departmental personnel; performing animal surgeries, biospecimen orders and introducing supplies.
- Responsible for QA checks on departmental procedures, developing corrective action items and instituting a follow up plan.
- Operates equipment and use supplies according to safety and ergonomic guidelines.
- Performs physical environment housekeeping duties and production operations according to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and/or Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in order to maintain biosecurity.
- Coordinates production activities upon temporary absence of Team Lead.
- Adheres to safety procedures and follow ergonomic practices and stretching schedules.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
What you’ll need
- High School diploma or GED (General Education degree).
- Two to four years related experience and/or training.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Ability to communicate and follow verbal and written directions accurately.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Must have strong organizational skills.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Proficient in computers (IE: MS Office Suite).
- AALAS certification at the Assistant Technician (ALAT) level.
The hourly pay rate for this position is $21.25. Please note that salaries vary within the range based on factors including, but not limited to, experience, skills, education, certifications, and location.
What you get
- Mental/Dental/Vision Plans
- Vacation and Holiday
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Value Added Programs
- Employee discount program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition and Referral Program
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Fitness Reimbursement and Wellness Programs
- Paid Volunteer Time Off
- Parental Leave
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage Contact Research Organization (CRO). Here, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. With 100 sites around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our clients' unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.Learn More